Fall Volunteer Opportunities at Pikes Peak Library District
PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT
Seek ~ Engage ~ Transform
June 30, 2011
Media contact: Travis Duncan
(719) 531-6333, x1202; email@example.com
Upcoming Fall Volunteer Opportunities at Pikes Peak Library District
Adult Literacy Tutors
Share your love of reading. Tutor an adult once a week for 2 hours. Work one-on-one with an adult to improve their reading, writing, comprehension or English language skills. No teaching experience required. Training is required and provided, and all sessions must be attended.
Speak English Facilitators meet community members from around the world. Facilitate weekly Speak English! groups. Provide adult English language learners with a friendly and supportive place to practice informal social conversation.
- Wed., Aug. 10 from noon - 8 p.m. at Ruth Holley Library
- Thurs., Oct. 20 from noon - 8 p.m. at East Library
Pre-registration required. Please complete an application and return to Literacy Office at Penrose Library, and they will contact you for the next training session.
Friends Book Sale Volunteers – East Library
Fall Book Sale – Oct. 28, 29, 30
Unpack boxes of books, and place on tables; help pack unsold books and take down tables.
- Set-up: Thursday and Friday, Oct. 27 and 28; Take-down: Sunday, Oct. 30 from 3 - 5 p.m.
Friends Book Sorters
Volunteers are needed to sort and box donations of books to be sold at Friends Book Sales.
- Must be able to push a book cart loaded with books, bend, stoop, and lift 30 lbs.
- Knowledge of literature and current authors is helpful.
East Library - weekdays
Process books from bins by emptying books from bins, scanning and placing on cart:
- Briargate: Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 9 a.m. - noon
- Sand Creek: Wednesdays from noon - 2 p.m.
Retrieve books from the Pull List weekday mornings:
- East Library – Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. - noon
Empty bins of books in Transfer Room and place on carts:
- East Library: Fridays from 10 a.m. - noon and/or 3 - 5 p.m.
CyberShelf Computer Lab Assistant
CyberShelf-savvy volunteer will help and support patrons in a computer lab setting. Volunteers must:
- Be comfortable working with a diverse population of adult learners
- Know CyberShelf, eReaders, MP3 players, computer basics, Internet, web- based email and Microsoft Word or Excel.
Weekday mornings, schedule varies.
Adult volunteers may complete a regular volunteer application and submit at the location where you wish to volunteer, or mail to East Library, Human Resources Office, 5550 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80918. Volunteer applications are available at all libraries and at the website ppld.org, under the icon Jobs and Volunteers. Please submit applications for positions that are listed and open.
Teen Volunteer Opportunities
(School year 2011-12)
Teen Advisory Councils
Teen Advisory Councils meet monthly at the following libraries to help plan programs and events. Complete a Teen Application and submit to the library where you wish to volunteer.
- Briargate Library
- East Library
- Fountain Library
- High Prairie Library
- Monument Library
- Old Colorado City Library
- Penrose Library
- Ruth Holley Library
- Sand Creek Library
- About the Library
- Adult Literacy / ESL / GED
- Annual Report
- Board of Trustees
- Book a Librarian
- Catalog / Account FAQs
- Collection Descriptions
- Contact Us
- Financial Reports
- Foundation / How to Give
- Friends of PPLD
- History of PPLD
- Holiday Hours / Closures
- Homeschool Hub
- Library Hours / Locations
- Library Cards
- Library Out Loud
- Library Tours
- Meeting Rooms
- Mobile Library Services
- PPLD Newsroom
- Request for Proposals
- Study Rooms
- What's New
How Do I?
Social Media Links
21st Century Library
Adult Literacy / ESL
Cheyenne Mountain Library
Friends of Manitou Library
High Prairie Library
Manitou Springs Library
Old Colo. City Council (OC3)
Old Colo. City Library
Page One Writer's Group
Penrose Library Teens
Teens at Briargate (TAB)
Teens at Manitou
Ute Pass Library