Makerspace Safety Guidelines
Welcome to Pikes Peak Library District’s Make and Make II in Library 21c! Please read and follow this policy and guidelines. Your use of Make or Make II signifies your agreement with this policy and guidelines.
Requirements for Use
- Makers must be valid PPLD cardholders.
- Prior to using Make or Make II, adult patrons must complete and sign a Makerspace Use and Release Agreement and verify their identity with valid photo ID and library card (adult patrons with a legal guardian should have that individual sign the Use and Release Agreement).
- Minor patrons must have an adult parent, guardian or other person with appropriate legal authority sign the Makerspace Use and Release Agreement. Parents/guardians are welcome to tour the Makerspace area to become familiar with the facilities and equipment and evaluate use by a minor child, and PPLD staff are happy to answer parent/guardian questions.
- A minor without valid photo ID may verify his/her identity with a library card and valid photo ID of a parent/guardian.
- Makers must check in with the staff member on duty, using their PPLD library card, and sign the guest book each time before they use the space.
- Makers under age 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. o Parent/guardian supervision is welcome for all minors over age 12.
- Certain tools and machinery have age requirements for use, which are listed on their Equipment Use Guidelines cards.
- Makers must participate in mandatory safety trainings in order to use certain tools; they may not use these tools until certification training has been complete, as confirmed by PPLD staff.
- Makers must attend certification trainings in person.
- When using a tool that does not require certification, the maker is certifying that he/she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Staff is available to assist in explaining operation of tools and equipment as time allows, and will make available upon request materials such as manuals.
- Patrons with disabilities who need special arrangements or accommodations are requested to notify Antonia at 719-884-9765 as far in advance as possible before their expected time of use.
- PPLD provides the maker with access to safety supplies in Make and Make II.
- Some tools require specific safety gear, which is described on the tool’s Equipment Use Guidelines card. All safety gear must be worn as appropriate.
- Certain items may also require hair and any dangling items, like jewelry, to be secured or covered before use.
- Appropriate close-toed shoes and clothing must be worn depending on the activity.
- If a maker sees that any tool or piece of equipment is unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the maker must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify PPLD staff.
- The maker must report any accident or incident that occurs in Make or Make II to a staff member.
- If you see unsafe behavior by anyone, please let staff know.
- Projects and materials must be approved by staff prior to use of 3D printers, laser cutter, and CNC machine. Machinery will be run by staff.
- Covered drinks are welcome in Make and Make II. Food is not permitted.
- Access to Materials
- Challenged Materials
- Code of Conduct
- Collection Development
- Community Arts/Displays
- East Teen Center
- Facilities Naming Policy
- Gifts and Donations
- Inclement Weather
- Internet Use
- Laptop Loan Policy
- Legal Reference Service
- Library Cards
- Lost and Found
- Makerspace Safety Guidelines
- Makerspace Use Policy
- Meeting Rooms
- Memorials Policy
- Requesting Information
- Safe Child Guidelines
- Solicitation Policy
- Suspension Policy
- Tool Donation Guidelines
- Websites/Social Media
- Wireless Access
How Do I?
Social Media Links
21st Century Library
Adult Literacy / ESL
Cheyenne Mountain Library
Creative Computer Commons
Friends of Manitou Library
High Prairie Library
Library 21c Teens
Manitou Springs Library
Old Colo. City Library
Old Colo. City Teens
Penrose Library Teens
Ruth Holley Library
Sand Creek Library
Teens at Manitou
Ute Pass Library