Makerspace Use Policy
Guidelines for Use
- Makers must be valid PPLD cardholders to use the 3D printers, CNC machine, laser cutter, or any other activity that requires a waiver be filled out or a fee.
- Tools and equipment are available to makers on a first come, first served basis.
- Tools used in the space must be returned by the maker to their original location in a clean state. The workspace also needs to be cleaned before the maker leaves.
- PPLD is only able to provide free consumable materials on a limited basis. The maker agrees to avoid wasting supplies and materials.
- PPLD does not accept responsibility if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly, or does not work.
- PPLD reserves the right to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate PPLD policy, including the creation of weapons, pornography, or illegal items.
- Only library computers may be connected to library machines, like the 3D printers, CNC machine, laser cutter, etc.
- Projects may be subject to approval by staff prior to use of machinery. Machinery will be run by staff or certified makers.
- Covered drinks are welcome in the makerspaces. Food is not permitted.
- If users have a reservation to use a certain machine at Library 21c, staff will make an effort to contact the patron before he/she comes in to use it if the machine is out of order. This courtesy cannot be guaranteed.
- PPLD is not responsible for equipment or files left behind.
- PPLD’s Code of Conduct and Internet Use Policy apply to the makerspaces.
Costs for Use
- Use of the makerspaces is generally free. Use of some equipment and materials, however, may be subject to a fee.
- The maker agrees that PPLD is not responsible for any manufacturing defects or the quality or workmanship of any of the tools, materials or equipment supplied by PPLD, or for the quality or condition of a user’s project.
- The maker agrees to take precautions to avoid causing unnecessary mess or damage in the makerspaces.
- Some machines require the maker to bring in his/her own materials for use. Staff must approve all user-supplied materials before they are used on equipment, to reduce risk of damage to equipment or harm to users within the makerspaces. PPLD staff reserve the right to disapprove certain materials, tools, etc., in their discretion. PPLD supplies materials for the 3D printers.
- The maker (or, if a minor, his parent or guardian) is responsible to pay any PPLD charges or fees for use of equipment, material and supplies provided by PPLD, and for all loss or damage to PPLD property or clean-up expense. PPLD is not responsible for any damage to, or loss or theft of, the maker’s property. See PPLD’s policy on patron property left on PPLD premises.
- PPLD may require payment of charges/fees at the time of use or later, and may charge the maker’s PPLD account (or, if a minor, the parent/guardian’s PPLD account) or seek payment by other means, in its discretion.