Escape the Heat, Smoke with Free Programs at Library for All Ages
Here is a sampling of some fun, free events comind up the next couple of days throughout Pikes Peak Library District.
Trained teen volunteers will help students in grades K-5 practice reading. Free, drop-in program.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 3 - 5 p.m. - Cheyenne Mountain Library
Summer Movie Matinee: Monsters, Inc. (Rated G, 92 min.)
Monsters generate their city's power by scaring children, but they are terribly afraid themselves of being contaminated by children, so when one enters Monstropolis, top scarer Sulley finds his world disrupted.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 3 - 5 p.m. – Old Colorado City Library
Do you believe what you see? We'll do fun and crazy projects with optical illusions. For children 7 years and up.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. – Monument Library
Paws to Read
Let your child practice reading and build fluency by reading to a Paws to Read dog. Great for reluctant readers! No registration is required.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 3:45 - 5 p.m. – Ruth Holley Library
Cerena Sunbeam and her Magic Dream Blanket
Grab your magic dream blanket and join Cerena as she meets the dream fairy, encounters aliens, dinosaurs, and even Curious George! Join Alanna and Lesley for this imaginative puppet show and a sprinkling of dream fairy dust!
- Wednesday, June 27 from 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. – Penrose Library
- Wednesday, June 27 from 10:30 - 11:15 a.m. – Penrose Library
Dream Big with … Kathy’s Kritter Karavan
Take a close peek at a variety of animals including Jack and Jill (large tortoises), tenrecs, plus a big boa and other snake buddies. Add to the fun with hands-on animal crafts.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 9:30 - 10:15 a.m. – East Library
- Wednesday, June 27 from 10:30 - 11:15 a.m. – East Library
This program gives toddlers an introduction to the delights of rhyme, rhythm, and a few special stories as a first step to reading. (For one and two-year old children and caregivers.)
Wednesday, June 27 at 10, 10:30, and 10:50 a.m. – Rockrimmon Library
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10 and 10:30 a.m. – Ruth Holley Library
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10 a.m. – Briargate Library
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10:30 a.m. – Old Colorado City Library
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10:30 a.m. – Cheyenne Mountain Library
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10:45 a.m. – Monument Library
Stories and Crafts
Stories and crafts for ages 3 and older.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. – Fountain Library
- Wednesday, June 27 from 11 a.m. - noon – Briargate Library
Magician Bruce Black
Believe in yourself and believe in your dreams! Magician Bruce Black will take you on a magical journey where books can make your biggest dreams become reality! Come see this amazing family show with lots of audience participation and comedy for all ages!
- Wednesday, June 27 from 10:30 – 11 a.m. – Sand Creek Library
The Val-deri Sisters and the Big Wish List
The Val-deri Sisters (Pat and Ruth) have big dreams about things they have always wanted to do and are working their way through their wish list. But, the two sisters don't have a clue how to go about achieving those dreams! The result---hilarious!
- Wednesday, June 27 at 10:30 a.m. – Palmer Lake Library
Homeschool Lunch at Your Library
Bring your lunch, learn something new, and socialize with other homeschool families. Registration is recommended.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. – High Prairie Library
Novel Ideas Homeschool Book Club
Join other homeschool teens for a snack and discussion on a great book!
- Wednesday, June 27 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. – Penrose Library
Do you believe what you see? We'll do fun and crazy projects with optical illusions. This program is especially for kids ages 7 and up.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 2 - 3 p.m. – East Library
Stories and Crafts
Join us in some summer fun as we read a few stories and do craft projects together. Stories and crafts are chosen for school age children.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 2 - 3 p.m. – Ruth Holley Library
Scribes and Bards
Have fun with others in this teen writers group.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. – East Library
Creatures of the Night with Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Come meet some creatures of the night, brought by the staff of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's ZOO-mobile. A teen Summer Reading Program "Own the Night" event. Ages 12 and up. Registration required. Limited to 30 participants.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 4 - 5 p.m. – Monument Library
Falcon Book Club
Join us for conversation and fun, no registration required. This month's book discussion is on two books, choose one or read both:
An Invisible Thread by Alex Tresniowski: A true story of an 11 year old panhandler, a busy sales executive, and an unlikely meeting with destiny. It's an unlikely friendship that changes both lives.
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik: ive women each with a story of their own in a small-town in MN. The story covers 3 decades of careers, grandchildren, 2nd chances, forgiveness, and laughing. There is nothing like the saving grace of best friends.
- Tuesday, June 26 from 6 - 7:30 p.m. – High Prairie Library
Students will learn the basics of the Japanese language, including grammar and vocabulary.
Tuesday, June 26 from 6 - 7:30 p.m. – East Library
CyberShelf Class for Nooks
This class will discuss how to download to nook type eReaders. Kindle users should attend the CyberShelf Class that is focused on the Kindle.
Learn to navigate the PPLD CyberShelf page, download free software, place eHolds, search for eBooks or eAudiobooks to checkout. This class will include a download demonstration for an eBook and eAudiobook as well as instruction on how to transfer to device.
This is a demonstration only. Downloading from the CyberShelf must be done outside the library. Registration is required by calling 389-8968.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 8:30 – 10 a.m. – East Library
All seniors are welcome to share conversation and a cup of coffee in this casual discussion group.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 10 a.m. – noon – Monument Library
Every month this group picks a period of history and members read any book of their choice from that time period. Expect a lively discussion about the era.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 1 - 3 p.m. – Monument Library
55+ Skype Class
Open a free Skype account and use Skype's basic services for free. Create contacts who also have Skype accounts and you will be ready to make calls.
- Wednesday, June 27 from 1:15 – 2:45 p.m. – Sand Creek Library
- About the Library
- Adult Literacy / ESL / GED
- Annual Report
- Board of Trustees
- Book a Librarian
- Catalog / Account FAQs
- Collection Descriptions
- Contact Us
- Financial Reports
- Foundation / How to Give
- Friends of PPLD
- History of PPLD
- Holiday Hours / Closures
- Homeschool Hub
- Library Hours / Locations
- Library Cards
- Library Out Loud
- Library Tours
- Meeting Rooms
- Mobile Library Services
- PPLD Newsroom
- Request for Proposals
- Study Rooms
- What's New
How Do I?
Social Media Links
21st Century Library
Adult Literacy / ESL
Cheyenne Mountain Library
Friends of Manitou Library
High Prairie Library
Manitou Springs Library
Old Colo. City Council (OC3)
Old Colo. City Library
Page One Writer's Group
Penrose Library Teens
Teens at Briargate (TAB)
Teens at Manitou
Ute Pass Library